Inspired by some terrible writing that I’ve been editing at work over the last few weeks, I made you a list of some of the things that drive me insane but a normal person probably doesn’t even notice.
1. Confusing that and which.
2. Not understanding the difference between EST and EDT.
3. Using over instead of more than.
4. Putting commas and periods outside of quotation marks.
5. Confusing the meanings of eg and ie.
6. Putting two spaces between sentences. (And after colons. Who does that??)
7. Using ampersands instead of the word and.
8. Capitalizing words you think are important.
9. Mixing up hyphens, em dashes, and en dashes.
10. Putting quotation marks around random words.
11. Writing nonparallel lists.
Stop the madness people. It’s really not that hard.